Women in Aesthetics. Féminiser la philosophie de l’art.
Conference Venue: Department of Aesthetics and Theory of Art, Sorbonne University
Date: 17 November 2023
Keynote speaker: Esther Leslie (Birkbeck)
This conference is centred on the role of women in aesthetics and philosophy of art, which has been traditionally neglected or obscured in dominant approaches to the discipline. The aim of the conference is twofold. It intends, on the one hand, to re-examine the contribution of women philosophers to aesthetics and philosophy of art. On the other hand, it intends to reflect on how feminist art and theory have been integrated into aesthetics, questioning if they raise new aesthetic problems.
We invite submissions that explore the overlaps between aesthetics, philosophy of art and women. Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- Women Aestheticians
- Women Philosophers of Art
- Women Philosophers in Aesthetics of Music
- Women Philosophers in Aesthetics of Cinema and Photography
- Women Philosophers and Aesthetics : New Directions
- Feminist Aesthetics
- Art, Politics and Feminism
Papers should be suitable for a 25-minute presentation. They can be written in English or French.
- 500-word abstract, in a Word document or PDF, prepared for anonymous review;
- Document in a separate attachment with your name, institution and position, email address, and short biography.
We especially encourage submissions from members of marginalised groups.
Deadline for submission: 10 August 2023
Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by 15 August.
Beatriz Rodrigues (King’s College London)
Cristina Parapar (Sorbonne University)