Peter Kivy Prize
The American Society for Aesthetics is pleased to announce that the Board of Trustees has unanimously approved the establishment of the Peter Kivy Prize. The prize will be awarded to up to three people in 2020 to encourage new, unpublished work on the philosophy of music of Peter Kivy (1934-2017).
The submission deadline is February 1, 2020, with announcement of the winning essays no later than June 2020. The papers will be presented at a special session at the ASA Annual Meeting in Washington DC in November 2020. The session is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, November 14, 2020 and will be open to the public.
The top three essays will each receive a prize of $1000, plus travel support to the meeting of up to $1250.
It is expected that the papers will be the basis for possible print publication, such as a print symposium in the Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. Winning papers will be selected by an ad hoc committee of three ASA members, appointed by the ASA President in consultation with the Board of Trustees and the Kivy family.
The regulations for the competition are as follows:
- Amount. The amount of the Prize is $1,000 plus travel support up to $1250. Up to three winners will be named.
- Deadline. The deadline for submission is February 1, 2020.
- Eligibility. In order to encourage interdisciplinary consideration of the topic, ASA membership is not required. Persons from related disciplines are encouraged to submit their work.
- Essay Content and Length. The essay should be new, unpublished work on the philosophy of music of Peter Kivy. The essay should be a maximum of 7,500 words.
- Judging. The judges for the Prize will be appointed by the ASA President.
- Presentation. Winning papers will be presented at the 2020 ASA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC.
- Submission Requirements. Submissions may not have been previously published or under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Questions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org