July 9th and 10th, 2021
The Society for the Philosophic Study of the Contemporary Visual Arts (SPSCVA) together with Film and Philosophy are sponsoring an online workshop to take place on July 2 – 3, 2021.
We are open to submissions from scholars outside of philosophy in order to promote interdisciplinary discussion. We also strongly encourage submissions from women and minorities and from junior and new members of the SPSCVA.
Interested participants are invited to submit detailed abstracts (500 to 800 words in length) for individual presentations as well as panel proposal. We encourage participants to focus on current topics of interest such as, but not limited to:
- The representation of race in film
- Online streaming VS in-person screening
- The relationship between film criticism and philosophy
- Contemporary directors
- TV series
Proposals should be prepared for blind review and submitted no later than April 15th. All submissions should be sent to email@example.com.
Accepted authors will be notified by April 30th and will be asked to provide a finalized copy of their paper by June 15th. Papers will be presented and discussed in a pre-read workshop format:
- Participants will commit to read all accepted papers prior to the workshop
- The author will have 10 minutes to introduce the paper; the introduction will be followed by brief comments by an assigned commentator; the remaining portion of the session will be dedicated to Q&A
Selected papers and panels will be considered for publication in Film and Philosophy.