British Society of Aesthetics Postgraduate Stipends
The British Society of Aesthetics invites postgraduate students in the UK to apply for stipends of up to £800 towards travel and accommodation costs for participation in conferences or research visits to other universities on topics in aesthetics and the philosophy of art. The BSA has adopted the BPA/SWIP Good Practice Guidelines. We especially encourage women and members of other underrepresented groups to apply.
Please note that applicants should apply to other sources of funding where available, and must take these sources instead of BSA funds if they are successful in both applications.
Applications will be accepted 1 February, 1 June and 15 October.
To be eligible for a travel stipend, an applicant must:
• Be a member of the BSA;
• Be enrolled in a UK postgraduate programme, or be unemployed after having completed such a programme within the previous one year, at the time of the event for which funds are being requested;
• Have had a submitted paper accepted for presentation at a conference, or been invited to participate in a panel or give comments at a conference, or have an arrangement with another university to visit for research purposes, on a topic in aesthetics or the philosophy of art;
• Have applied to other sources of funding where available.
Applications for travel stipends must include:
• An indication of current enrolment or employment status;
• Proof of acceptance of a paper, invitation to participate in a conference, or arrangement with a university for a research visit;
• An indication of other sources of funding for which the student has applied, and a statement that these sources will be taken instead of BSA funds if both applications are successful;
• A specification of the amount requested along with a breakdown of estimated costs;
• An explanation of no more than 200 words of how participating in the relevant conference or doing the research visit will contribute to the aims of the Society.
For full details and application form please see:
Each student is limited to £800 per year. The stipend may be used toward travel, accommodation and/or conference registration; it may not be used toward subsistence. Payment will be made upon receipt of completed claim form with receipts attached.
Please note that the American Society for Aesthetics provides funding for eligible students presenting at their Annual Meeting (for 2016 see: https://british-aesthetics.org/cfp-american-society-for-aesthetics-2016-annual-meeting/). Students may want to apply for the BSA stipend if they are presenting at one of the ASA’s regional meetings (Eastern, Central or Pacific), which do not provide such funding, though they do reserve slots for postgraduate speakers.