British Society of Aesthetics Travel Stipends
Early career researchers are now eligible for these awards, as well as postgraduate students.
We invite postgraduate students and early career researchers in the UK to apply for stipends of up to £800 towards travel and accommodation costs for participation in conferences or research visits to other universities on topics in aesthetics and the philosophy of art. The BSA has adopted the BPA/SWIP Good Practice Guidelines. We especially encourage women and members of other under-represented groups to apply.
Please note that applicants should apply to other sources of funding where available. It is a condition that applicants must take these sources instead of BSA funds if they are successful in both applications.
There is a rolling deadline for applications. You should apply as soon as your conference paper has been accepted or research visit confirmed.
To be eligible for a travel stipend, an applicant must:
– Be a member of the BSA;
– Be enrolled in a UK postgraduate programme, or be a researcher in the UK within three years of having completed a PhD at a UK postgraduate programme, at the time of the event for which funds are being requested;
– Have had a submitted paper accepted for presentation at a conference, or been invited to participate in a panel or give comments at a conference, or have an arrangement with another university to visit for research purposes, on a topic in aesthetics or the philosophy of art;
– Have applied to other sources of funding where available.
Applications for travel stipends must include:
– An indication of current enrolment or time since completion of the PhD;
– Proof of acceptance of a paper, invitation to participate in a conference, or arrangement with a university for a research visit;
– A brief abstract of the paper, if applicable;
– An indication of other sources of funding for which the applicant has applied. Other funds must be taken instead of BSA funds if another application is also successful. If other sources of funding are not available or are insufficient, the applicant must confirm this and should be prepared to provide proof if requested by us, e.g. a written statement from Departmental staff;
– A specification of the amount requested along with a breakdown of estimated costs;
– An explanation of no more than 200 words of how participating in the relevant conference or doing the research visit will contribute to the aims of the Society.
Each applicant is limited to £800 per year. Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received an award. The stipend may be used toward travel, accommodation and/or conference registration; it may not be used toward subsistence. Applicants will be notified of results within three weeks of submission. Payment will be upon receipt of completed claim form with receipts attached.
Please note that the American Society for Aesthetics provides funding for eligible students presenting at their Annual Meeting. Students may want to apply for the BSA stipend if they are presenting at one of the ASA’s regional meetings (Eastern, Central or Pacific), which do not provide such funding, though they do reserve slots for postgraduate speakers.
For details of all forthcoming ASA meetings see: http://aesthetics-online.org/events/event_list.asp